The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
porty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: MBC Reply with quote

the deck i won the FNM with was a severely suboptimal version of the deck i should have had (not having all the snow-covered lands...missing key cards and making bad substitutions)

here's the list i'm supposed to have:

3 scrying sheets
3 mouth of ronom
2 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
2 leechridden swamp
16 snow-covered swamp

4 korlash, heir to blackblade
1 shriekmaw
1 oona, queen of the fae

4 thoughtseize
4 terror
3 nameless inversion
4 tendrils of corruption
3 corrupt
2 beseech the queen
4 bitterblossom
4 damnation

sideboard:
2 mind shatter
3 stupor
2 extirpate
3 peppersmoke
2 deathmark
2 puppeteer clique
1 trip noose

the idea of the deck is to just kill every guy the opponent drops. play a bitterblossom and spit out guys to either chump block or swarm the opponent (as if there's any other reason to play bitterblossom) and use tendrils and corrupt to gain the life back. korlash accelerates your mana and makes the corrupts bigger while serving as a nice sized fatty. beseech the queen is insane in this deck. she grabs the damnation for when things go bad or the tendrils to gain some life or the corrupt to finish the game. getting the singleton oona can just end the game.

the sideboard brings in 5 1cc cards that kill llanowar elves before they can accel out their turn 2 3-drop. 5 cards that kill control players' hands. and a few tricks that deal with other problems.

out of the decks we can expect at our FNMs and MNMs:

FAERIES:
-4 tendrils of corruption
-1 nameless inversion
-3 corrupt
+3 stupor
+3 peppersmoke
+2 extirpate or mind shatter

i haven't decided if mind shatter if good enough for faeries yet. you would need to clear the way with a thoughtseize first to make sure it resolves. i think just going for the stupors or baiting their counters and then extirpating them works better. you have infinite spot removal against them and should be able to get bitterblossom advantage while removing their guys. make sure scion of oona never sticks (shouldn't be a problem...unless they get 2...them just wipe the board with damnation). oona really shines here as she really lets you get the upper hand in the swarm game.

ELVES:
assuming it's the BG build that's super popular right now
-3 corrupt
-1 tendrils of corruption
-2 bitterblossom
+3 peppersmoke
+2 deathmark
+1 trip noose

this is a rough matchup only because they're the best at abusing chameleon colossus. this deck can deal with anything but that guy. you need to mess up their early game so you sacrifice having your life-gain removal to make room for lots of 1cc elf-killers. bitterblossom is nice here but not stellar. damnation (and beseech for damnation) is your best play in this matchup. trip noose is a great tutor target to deal with colossus. try to kill with oona, they have a hard time dealing with her.

RDW:
if they play ram-gang, tattermunge maniac, and goyf:
-4 thoughtseize
-2 beseech the queen
+2 deathmark
+4 other cards

there isn't a lot to bring in. but all your life-gain spells should keep you in this game. oona is amazing against these mono-color decks. remember that korlash regenerates if you need to play tendrils to stay alive.

if they're playing straight red (chad deck wins):
-4 thoughtseize
-2 beseech the queen
+2 puppeteer clique
+4 other cards

same deal only no green guys to kill with deathmark. stealing their demigod is a cute little trick but i don't know that it'll win you any games.

there's other matchups too but i don't have any first-hand experience with them yet.
Magus of the Forums

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two Beseeches? I think it's better as a 4-of. You're never sad to see it, it makes everything better. And you can make sure you hit your fourth land drop by searching for Urborg.

porty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they're good but they're not worth cutting any other cards for more.

i want to make room for 1 grim harvest to recur korlash or shriekmaw. i'll prob go to 3 tendrils for it. if that's the case i'll prob cut the cliques in the board to make room for bottle gnomes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Deck Builds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: