The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(10/13/08) #9 - YAMATO-NO-KAMI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: (10/13/08) #9 - YAMATO-NO-KAMI Reply with quote

YAMATO-NO-KAMI

EFFECT MONSTER (Warrior / Spirit / DARK / Level 6 / 2200 ATK / 1200 DEF)

TEXT: "This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by removing from play 1 Spirit monster from your Graveyard. This card returns to its owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn it is Special Summoned. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, you can destroy 1 Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

HARV'S REVIEW

Spirit monsters have always been rough to run, due to their effect of being returned to their owners hand during the End Phase, after being Normal Summoned. But, that's not to say that some Spirit monsters with awesome effects haven't found their way splashed into decks. The infamous Yata Garasu (a moment of silence please...)...Inaba the White Rabbit (Jim would 600 me to death with this little sucker, and it would never stay on the field long enough for me to get rid of it!)...Asura Priest (attack, attack, attack, and then, attack again)...Hino-Kagu-Tsuchi (bye-bye hand, and nothings going to stop it from happening)... Anyway, I'm thinking Yamato-No-Kami (YNK) may find a place among these select few Spirit Monsters.

He's a 2200 ATK, Dark, easy Special Summon, that can destroy an opponents S/T if he destroys their monster first. Not bad, and worth considering. A little synergy there with Dark stuff, like: Allure (if need be), DAD (food)...Warrior Returning Alive... Maybe run 3 YNK, and another Spirit monster or two...Armageddon Knight to get the ball rolling...maybe splash a Kinka-Byo or Great Long Nose as that ball.

Why I think he's decent? Well, 2200 can take-out a bit. If YNK trashes a monster, it's done it's job, now use it as discard fodder. Or, use YNK as an additional hitter to cinch a win. Or, tribute him off for a Tribute Summon. Or, use him and a Krebons to Synchro Summon a level 8 Synchro. Yeah, I think splashed is where it's at with him, if at all.

I frown upon an all Spirit Monster deck. The returning to the hand thing that I previously mentioned, along with the fact that Spirit Monsters are Nomi Monsters, just amounts to too much inconsistency. The Continuous Spell Card, Spiritual Energy Settle Machine, is available to help keep Spirit Monsters on the field...but good lord...discard a card every turn to keep it there??!! That is beyond looney. There is also now Izanagi to help keep Spirit Monsters on the field, but uh... just NO. Until much-needed Spirit Monster support is available, avoid wasting your time with a Spirit deck.

Splashed In Select Decks - 6-7/10

Art - 8/10 (I gotta' find out where this guy get's his ink done!!)

Last edited by HARV35TER on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LizardMan
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it a meh. 4/10
Sogen
Nurgling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it a 5, I still prefer yamato dragon
Nurgling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By no means am I saying YNK is as good as some other Spirit monsters...I'm just saying that I think he can be utilized here and there. If he is splashed with a couple other Spirit monsters, after he goes back to the hand once, he's rather useless because their probably won't be any other Spirit monsters in the Graveyard to enable him to be Special Summoned again. But, this is when he can be used for an Allure, or another cards cost. Also, he would maybe do well with DDV. Dunno'.

I do know that a 2200 hitter that can hit the field relatively easy should not be dismissed entirely. An all Spirit monster deck with the beefy Spirit monsters out there, including YNK, may do O.K. with Swaps and Legacy of Yata's. All in all, I think YNK is an asset to Spirit monsters.

Oh, BTW, I honestly don't care for Yamata much at all. There are much easier ways to get cards into your hand, and Yamata being a Spirit monster is rough enough, let alone a 2 tribute Spirit monster. At least with Hino you can dump him with a Trade-In if need be...and his effect can not be missed.

Imagine going to the trouble of getting Yamata out, hitting with him, and you already have like 4 cards in your hand. That would suck. With Hino, even if your opponent has only one card they have to ditch, it was kinda' worth it.
Nurgling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you misunderstood me, I give the art a 5, yamata dragon's art I like more.

But I think the cheapest would have to be Kagu, I mean he isnt banned lol
Nurgling

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, you misunderstood me, I give the art a 5, yamata dragon's art I like more.

Hmmm. I'm thinking you like Yamata more just cause' he's a Dragon. LoL.
I think w/ Yamata...the colors are blah...they look like a bunch of snake heads, not Dragon heads...and they are all bunched together, so it's hard to tell where the heads are unless you look rather close.

Quote:
But I think the cheapest would have to be Kagu, I mean he isnt banned lol

The reason he isn't banned is because he is very difficult to run. A 2 tribute monster, that has to get a hit in on opponents LP to get his effect off, that goes back to the hand at the End Phase...is DIFFICULT.

If he wasn't a Spirit Monster, and stayed on the field, he'd no doubt be banned. You see, getting him out on the field one time is hard enough...and then you take a chance of not getting a hit in on opponents LP.

Bottom line, when you get him out and attack, one of 3 main things are going to happen: 1) He will be destroyed when summoned or when attacking, then he's a Nomi and can't be resurrected from the Graveyard. 2) Attack will fail, then he goes back to your hand...and now you have to try an get him out again...and that is rough. 3) You get a hit in, and your living large!

Overall, waaay more negetives about Hino, then positives.

I still dig him though.
Nurgling

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mausoleum of the Emperor, ooo would ya look at that, a mere 2000 life points, ooh look at this royal decree I played two turns ago, or cold wave...
and look at this, its life Absorbing machine, this would only be played before cold wave, and but not used with royal decree, or ill run as well 3 compulsory activation devices, to keep the field clean.

Point being is, to many people are just looking at new cards as game breakers, top tier or whatever, there are plenty of decks that can take out DAD, lol no more creavtivity, =_=
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mausoleum of the emperor decks are decent. They aren't top tier though since they are slow and have consistency issues mainly. They can also run out of steam very quick too.
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sogen - You have to be realistic about Hino. Can he work? Of course he can, and in many different ways. Ask Vince...my Pyro deck with U.F.O. Turtles, Flame Rulers and Hino's sunk his entire hand a couple times. BUT, it was inconsistent, and pales in comparison to the synergy of Top Tier Decks.

I'm all about originality...I have a Lightsworn/Dark deck, a Water/Fish Deck, a Batteryman/Thunder Deck, A Pyro/Spin Deck...but they do not win tournaments. Can they? Well, yeah...but it's a shot in the dark...and that's a fact. The first time you open draw 2 Hinos with no Mausoleum of the Emperor in sight, or vise-versa, you'll see what I mean. And your gonna' pay 2000 LP for a chance to hit opponents LP? What if the hit don't work, and then Hino goes back to your hand. You just paid 2000 LP for nothing. A skilled player would not chance that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Card Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: