The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Concept Building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Dungeons & Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razjah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Character Concept Building Reply with quote

Now this is not a stupid character optimization thread, I just would like some feedback to an idea that I have been tooling around with in my head.

Halfling Fighter/Masterthrower (3.5 for this little guy)

I picked Halfling because as I play them more and more I have a fondness for the little guys, and because they are really good throwers.

I still can't decide what is a better concept the rogue or fighter who throws instead of getting into close combat.

The character's occupation prior to meeting whatever party that I run him/her in would be to travel around performing with his throwing weapons. If anyone has seen the movie First Knight with Richard Gere and Sean Connery, it will be very similar just throwing instead of sword play.

For weapon choice I was thinking Javelin since it does the most damage for a thrown weapon (I don't want him to suck at combat the master thrower is like a duelist, showy but still able to kill things)

Question number 1) are thrown weapons that aren't shuriken destroyed when thrown?
Question number 2) is it better to play something like an elf of human for more damage or stay a halfling for better chances to hit?

For the feat Progression it stands as:
Level 1: Point Blank Shot
Fighter 1: Weapon focus (Javelin)
Fighter 2: Precise Shot
Level 3: Rapid Shot
Fighter 4: Weapon Spec (Javelin)
Master Thrower 1 (level 6): (Given Quick Draw)Iron Will or Coordinated Shot (Heroes of Battle)

Coordinated Shot lets me ignore cover that my allies provide, but I could just move to the side and stay with in 30' and keep throwing things.

Also, to the other people who are still on, feel free to toss up a character concept and ask for feed back. But please try to keep this from dropping into a character optimization thread. This is supposed to be for character concepts.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.

Last edited by Razjah on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, though this started with Becky as I chucked random questions at her.
    "What would you be?"
    "Spell guy... dunno"
    "Arcane or Divine?"
    "Uh...."
    "Pick!"
    "Both!"
    "Sweet, there's a prestige class for that."

So, out of Races of the Wild the Arcane Hierophant. Would be an Elf because even Humans aren't good enough with magic and nature to pull this off.

The requirements:
Non-lawful
+4 BAB
Know Arcana 8 ranks
Know Nature 8 ranks
Spells: able to cast 2nd level divine spells and 2nd level arcane spells.
Special: Trackless step class feature

So I can get in fairly quickly by multiclassing between the Druid and the Wizard, and the Arcane Hierophant adds +1 to both spellcasting levels per level.

Shoot out ideas for this guy.

Razjah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea that I have is a Hexblade. Probably going to be an aasimar. Background would be a slave who was forced to be a gladiator, which greatly changed his psychological outlook. He would be a dark hunter- using evil to fight evil and corruption.

Not sure which feats to take, but I will take the option from the Player's Handbook II for a shadow familiar.

Razjah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptoran ranger, using a Footbow to pepper everything with arrows. This character would focus extensively on the hunter aspect of being a ranger. He wouldn't shun society, but feel that relying on others only makes you an easy prey for whatever may be hunting you.

Any one else with ideas, post away!

EDIT: I think that I will make a group of NPCs in an my campaign next semester. This will allow some good role-play between the more party oriented characters versus the raptoran who view aid as weakness.

Last edited by Razjah on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad-ass warlock who's eyes gleam and then the enemy is damaged and can't see the warlock anymore.

Oh wait, already playing that......
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goliath Barbarian, using a HUGE axe/greatsword/goliath warhammer with some enchantments for the epic. Preferably using Leap Attack to deal metric f**k tons of damage.

Vicious enhancement is really good here since the barbarian has DR.

Also I started to stat out this beast. When raging STR is 32 (+11) the huge weapon has 4d6+2d6+1d6(flaming)+1(magic)+11+15 (5 power attack with leap attack dealing 3x power attack damage). Muwahahahaha!

lil' Beckers
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote? I like the trap building guy.

I can't believe you remembered that conversation we had lol <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Dungeons & Dragons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: