The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet the Players
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Duelist's Realm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tralala Bard
Gnoblar to the Geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Meet the Players Reply with quote

So, the Yu-Gi-Oh! player population at the Geek is growing almost every week. We need a thread for us to introduce ourselves to new players, and vice versa. I think this will really help us become a better community.

Right now, the regulars can just post their bios to get it started. Please include things like your name(obviously), how long you've been playing and how you like to play. Maybe even include other things you do at the Geek or your hobbies. You don't have to make it long, but make it where people can start to get to know you.

When new members come, they can post their bios too, and we can host conversations here to start to get to know each other better.
"You're going North!" "We're going to the Parkway!" "...You're still going North!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Razjah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Erik. I'm one of the moderators and tournament organizers. When Bill, our illustrious patron, is unable to run our tournaments I make Vince.

Games I play: Yu-Gi-Oh, Multiplayer Magic, Warhammer Fantasy, LCR (I lose), Heroclix, D&D.

In Yugimons I like to smash face. I play aggro, a lot, and have been since this past summer- yeah, I'm a new player, which is why I read my opponent's cards and don't just say, "Okay". Samurai, "Traps", and Control Monarch were monster's I have created. While I do like Combos, the game if fairly restricting about the ability to combo. I normally do well.

I personally, hate net decking. I have no problems with anyone who keeps up with the pro circuit, I try to. But taking someone's deck as a list bothers me. Yes, this means my decks may not be as powerful as possible, but I win on my terms.

To appease Chester- I play with Begley's cards. Yes it is true, I do not own any Yugimons. I do make my own decks, and often times I am under strain of Begley getting to use his cards, and I get the left overs. But it's a challenge and I seem to do okay.
Any questions post or PM.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.

Last edited by Razjah on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Twisted K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Begley, the other Moderator and Judge at the Geek.

I have been playing the Yugioh TCG since it was first released in America and i have recently started to play some casual multiplayer magic.

In yugioh I run whatever I am in the mood to play at the time. This usually ends up being my pride and joy, The Phoenix deck, and my new up and coming Dark build. Other than that I personally have a liking for big creatures and deck making in general.

Personally i am not a big fan of decks that lack originality or variation. Needless to say I have a strong disgust for the metagame run in the procircut and for any and all arrogant elitists.

Yes I do let Erik among other players use my cards to play. but please know that this does not mean that I like Erik, in fact I do not care for him or his afro.

I Am Team metal fish and please feel free to PM me.
Tralala Bard
Gnoblar to the Geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Jamie, and I am not a moderator (chain break!).

I am a pretty new player to the Geek, and I've been going to the tournaments now for about a month. I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh! with Chris Begley a few years ago at another shop, mostly because he got me into it. I find Yu-Gi-Oh! more fun than multiplayer magic, so I started playing again when Erik and him started bugging me to join.

I play Yu-Gi-Oh!, casual multiplayer magic (Slivers ftw), and LCR (I win). I also enjoy video games extensively.

I haven't decided what kind of player I am in Yu-Gi-Oh! yet. So far I am enjoying my first original deck I've made since I started again, which I created with the combination with my old cards and Begley's, and I have gained small obsessions with The Calculator and Erik's fro.
"You're going North!" "We're going to the Parkway!" "...You're still going North!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LizardMan
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Charlie. Nuff Said. I have been playing Yugioh for a long time and run many decks. I am a Judge. I like Nintendo. I like the geek. I go on many forums and played yugioh for about 6 years. I hope to make my ranking go up really high and start going to more events. I play Chaotic as well. I am a nice person, yet jumpy sometimes. That has earned me the nickname Crazy Charlie by the way.

Last edited by LizardMan on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:07 pm; edited 6 times in total
unrulysaiyajin
Magus of the Forums

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: God Reply with quote

This feels like some sort of sausage festival, bizzaro datin service, but anyway. This is God, or Chester for short.

I've been dueling since day one of this game. I've taken extended breaks from the game though but, I can't seem to stay away for too long. I play usually at two tournaments per week and am now beginning to attend regional tournaments regularly.

I can't say whether I adopt a conservative or aggressive style of play. To be one of the best players I believe you would not title yourself as such either way. A game is won by knowing when you need to play one of those styles or somewhere inbetween.

Considering I am just three months back into playing this game I think I am doing fairly well for myself. I'm a regular top four at the Geek, and have won four out of the last five tournaments on Sundays at Jesters. Now if only I could pull something decent out of a pack.

I'm a avid gamer even though I choose not to own any major gaming console at this period in time. My 360 Gamertag is "RexstechNobody". The only game I really play though is Halo 3. Feel up to challenging me? Send me a invite and I'll school you.

I have yet to take life seriously. I joke around entirely too much and refuse to get my act together. This is primarily while I am still awesome. Capitalist America will never make me conform. <^>(-.-)<^>

Top 4 Edison Sept 08

09 Nat's qualified
Razjah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your idea that a good player knows when to take the beatdown or control role, but in a given number of games, players adopt certain characteristics.

In magic, several players are renowned for being aggro, combo, or control players. I would say that you, Chester, are a conservative player until the time to swing in comes. Then, like any good player you seize the chance to win and take it.

However, to have a general default play style according to the decks you play is not a bad thing, even in high skill levels. If you play a samurai deck, you attack or you lose. I tend to play decks like this, so i swing. You play conservative decks and so you wait, and then win.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm Harvey (yeah, that's the name they gave me...), and I'm new to The Gaming Geek. I've been playing Yugioh a long time. My kid's, namely my now 15 year old son, got me into Yugioh back around Pharaohs Servant. We started out casual (me, 3 of my kids, my sons friend Phil, and his father Jim), but the more we played, the more we got into playing the game as it should be played. Then, we started hitting local tournys in Manahawkin. About that same time, we began hitting Regional events, Shonen Jump events, and Sneak Previews. Eventually, the Manahawkin shop closed...leaving us hitting just major events, and practicing together. We eventually found a couple other shops to play it, but they were a haul to get to. Needless to say, I'm thrilled The Gaming Geek now has Yugioh tournys.

Anyway, eventually, my kid's who had inspired me to play the game...got out of the game. By that time though, I had so much invested in the game (between cards I own, trading, moderating another site, and writing card reviews), that it just made the most sense to keep at it. Of course the main thing keeping me in the game was my love for the game. Meeting great people along the way, has helped too. The fact that there are other adults that I still play the game with, such as my buds Jim, Vince, Erinn, Brad...keep my interest in the game alive. I'll probably play it till' I can't read the cards anymore.

At one time, I had 12 decks...and was a bit out of control. I'm down to 3 now. I always have 1 that I call my main deck. I'll change a card or two in it on occasion, but it stays rather consistent. The other decks, I build the best I can. I play them over and over, and if they just aren't consistent, I break them down and try a new idea. I have tried just about every deck type out there, at one time or another.

I don't care too much for people that net deck, or copy big winning decks to the card. Now, more so then ever, there are enough great cards available to be original when deck building. I also dislike people that think they know it all when it comes to the game, or that take the game too seriously. Rules are rules, and should be abided to whether it's on a local level, or a regional level. But there is no need to come across like a Yugioh god, or to get looney about things during game play. I'm happy to say that about 95% of Yugioh players in general, including high ranking ones, are good people...and I'm one of them. lol. Yup-yup.
vinny1986
Magus of the Forums

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Vincent. I also used to go to the old Manahawkin card with Harv, Krome and Bubbles. I usually try to run the most competitive deck that there is at the time. ( even though the game is becoming more and more expensive) I do have another deck besides the DAD deck that I might try next Sat, just to change it up.

Hope everybody is enjoying Brawl, I know I am!!

We are Team Fish
Manahawkin, Wall, Forked River and Tuckerton NJ
bsk_hacker
noob!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Anthony. I have been playing ever since the game came to the U.S. I play with zombies and venom. I suck but I have fun with the game.
noob!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, This is Jason. Ive been playing yugioh for about 5 years, but there was a 2 year break in between that. When i play i play more on defence and let my opponet come to me. I am not that great but i try my best.
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeting's Anthony and Jason.
Nurgling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my name is Marcus

Iv been playing this game since it came out.
Only One regional. That was when i was like 12 though.
I'm just a player at the gaming geek been to two tourney's so far.
The first deck i played with at the Geek was my used to be best,
but after seeing there was a bigger world of dulists out there and got my ##%** whooped im found that using cards like that won't win anything.

The last tourney, I am embaressed to say, but i bought the new "The Dark Emperor" structure deck and well added a few things to it and took a few out.

Yea never again... nuf said about that.

My deck building revolves around taking down my oponent in an odd way,
If it may be Burn then burn with a bounce theme, beat down the beatdown with a control theme,

I do plan on being the best, I am a competitive person, however
I do not lose sight of whats really important.

so thats me hope to play all of you in the future

Also a huge fan of One Piece
fav char is Luffy obviously.

Last edited by Sogen on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tralala Bard
Gnoblar to the Geek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marcus! I'm glad to see you back at the Geek. I really enjoyed the deck you played last time - it was something totally different from what I had seen before. Good look with your new deck idea.

One Piece is a great show, as long as you're referring to the Japanese one and not the ungodly 4Kids edit.
LizardMan
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Geek Marcus and Jason. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Duelist's Realm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: