The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Dungeons & Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: How Do You Play? Reply with quote

This is not the "player types" like Power Gamer and Actor, but how do you make your decisions?

Do you make decisions based on a concept or do you let some vague idea based on one or two abilities be a background as you do what you want?

Do you plan our your character levels ahead or not?

Do you metagame/ don't separate player and character knowledge?

Do you play according to character or what the group needs?

Does your opinion as a player affect your character treats others in the group?

Post other questions if you can add.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.

Last edited by Razjah on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
lil' Beckers
noob!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My decision style for the first question really depends on which decision you're talking about. If I'm deciding if my character will be a rogue, a human, good at bluffing or things like that, I just think about what would make my character awesome. After I have gotten the character's stats set up, I think about the character's personality and such. From then on, I use that as the reason behind as many decisions as possible.

Planning my character's levels ahead? Hmmm... Does picking from the best options Erik picked out count?

I do my best not to metagame, and I like to believe I do a pretty good job about it. For example, when my elf ranger who hates undead things saw someone who looked undead, she attacked. Sure I personally knew he wasn't really undead but was in fact part of our party, but I still attacked him away. Plus it was fun testing out her skillzorz

When it comes to picking skills and classes, my choices are based almost entirely on what the group needs. Once everything is settled however, its all based on my character.

New question: do your opinion as a player effect how your character treats the others? I like to believe it doesn't... then again, I also like to believe I'm not crazy.
Dracofav
noob!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When making a character I usually find out what the party needs, and then come up with a character concept and background that then decides the abilities I choose. I do however at least make sure that the concept will make for a viable character and give me a possibility for a good selection of skills/feats.

Yes, I always plan my character's levels ahead. D&D makes this pretty easy to decide, and I'm rarely wrong about character paths. Also if my character's concept is very close to a prestige class that sort of requires that you plan ahead. WhiteWolf games are a completely different story however.

I never metagame. I frequently DM games and so that pretty much requires me to separate the two characters. About the only time I even consider breaking this rule is if the DM running the game pretty much requests that I do so in order to move the group along, and in that case I usually just pass it off as a legend or rumor I've heard about.

I start off with what the group needs, and then I let the character take control. If I start of with a character who doesn't trust others, he's not instantly going to be a people person winning over the town guards because the party needs it.

Individual characters might have some small part of their character be similar to myself, but they are generally largely different from myself.
Razjah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcn08 wrote:
Has anyone ever intentionally messed with a DM? How'd it turn out for ya?

Bad, real bad. He sent a wave of orcs at us, and a cult, and some psycho strong kobolds. All because I wanted my athletically and acrobatically trained elf to jump onto a wooden vendor to get line of sight at some baddies...... okay not really, but I did do that.

Well if your pixie is invisible suddenly every bloody commoner and his freakin cat can see you. A halfling sorcerer wearing a longsword gets sniped along with said invisible pixie and the druid. The baddies suddenly get flying disks and can outmaneuver 4th level spells. BAD, REALLY BAD.

Unless you plan to quit never screw with the DM, ever.

Razjah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is off topic slightly, but as a DM I play a lot more sandbox than others I have seen. To me it is okay if there is no big plot, after all is there some big plot in our daily lives? No. Do we go on epic quests? No. We manage littler things that go together like chapters of our lives.

I dislike (and by dislike I mean immensely hate) railroading. Because of this I run much more "for the players" style game.

Just my musings while doing some homework, and customizing my firefox since some random update ate my previous background theme.

ChaunceyK
noob!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I play?

Well, I just got back into D&D after nearly 20 years away, so the game is VERY different now, as is the gamer mentality. It seems like the Wizards Forums is more about maxing a character than...well...role-playing & having fun & knowing there's a chance you're character may actually die.

But I digress.

I started my first new character in almost 2 decades as a Halfling Rogue. Never even opened a book in making that decision, never considered the benefits that came with it, I simply decided having a Halfling skill-monkey would be FUN. So I created him in ways that I thought would be fun. But after playing for a few months (my group plays monthly), I've finally caught up with the rest of the party in terms of how 4e is designed.

So much for playing strictly for fun.

I'm a what? A striker? My job is to hit hard every round & do massive damage? Well, that does sound helpful to the party, but its not what I ever pictured for a pint-sized thief...I imagined myself more as a master infiltrator & a spy.

But it seems by changing a few powers, I am now dealing massive damage, and I must confess, I am enjoying it. Its like ordering a chicken sandwich, because that's what I wanted, but being given a burger instead & accepting the burger because its there...it wasn't what I expected, but I'm still enjoying it nonetheless.
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. I think that 4e requires more work on the group's part to keep the RP going. It is really easy to fall into the WoW or other MMO style game play and simple raid every part of the world. It's not supposed to be like that and it takes a little bit of work to keep from dropping to that kind of game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Dungeons & Dragons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: