The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Race Help

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Dungeons & Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razjah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: New Race Help Reply with quote

I'm designing a race for a campaign that I will eventually be running. The race is the Metathran. They are a warrior race who value combat over politics and a duel over a debate. I need to know how balanced this race is.

Metathran
    Medium Creature, Base Speed 30 ft.
    +2 Dex +2 Str -2 Int -2 Con
    Trace (4 Hour sleep, aware of outside)
    +2 Spot, +2 Heal
    +2 Intimidate <-> -2 Diplomacy
    -2 to all Cha based skill checks vs. Halflings
    +2 Saves vs. Poison
    +2 Saves vs. Fear

Weapon Specialty
      Dwarf Battle Axe- Martial
      Short Spear- Light Weapon
      Spear- 1 Hand Weapon

Favored Class- Monk (Can multi-class with monk and still raise monk levels)
    Laguages Known: Common + bonus languages (Orc, Goblin, Halfling, Elven)

The metathran personality is very similar to the klingon persona. A gruff warrior people who follow a code of honor that others often do not understand. The metathran people are often between 6'1" and 6'8" with white hair that stands fairly upright.

The metathran are a blue skinned people. They cover their bodies in tattoos when they reach adulthood. Metathran are warrior people. They are often disliked by halflings for their tendencies to solve things with a solid blow the the head. Also for the fights that break out when metathran are near, as if their presence causes battle.

The metathran strive for perfection in every aspect of their lives. If the metathran do anything, it will be done as near to perfect as can be don by mortals. The elves often appreciate this for the metathran commitment to a goal. Other races do not find the obsessive one mindedness of metathran to be helpful. Halflings and raptorans are often put off by the metathran taking one task to the point of not eating for days in order to craft a suit of armor. This also goes for their bodies. It is not uncommon to see metathran in a town running for miles in the pre-dawn hours before doing calisthetics and then finally weapon/fight practice before most other races are ready to eat breakfast.

In battle the metathran find home. Although they are not violent, the thrill of a fight always gives a metathran a sense of fulfillment. The strive for physical perfection carries out so that the movements of a metathran in battle are eerily precise. There is no extra movement, no circling of a blade, nothing that wastes energy, time, or effort. The flair of a swashbuckler is lost when a metathran drives his rapier through the swashbuckler's heart before weapons were thought to be drawn.

There is no cruelty in the metathran fighting, just simple, cold, efficiency. Their efficiency carries over into other parts of a metathran's life. Speech is remarkable short and to the point. Their art is... well most cultures do not find the patterns that are carved into weapons/armor/metathran skin to be art.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.

Last edited by Razjah on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 am; edited 4 times in total
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments? Anything would be appreciated I really want to make sure this is balanced.

rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a base land speed would be nice. What languages would they know? I'm assuming that they're medium characters. What's the story behind the penalty to Cha skill checks vs. Halflings?

None of this really seems overpowered. The best thing to do would be to make a few characters of different classes with the race and see how they look on paper compared to characters of other races. Ideally the charisma modifier would make more sense- the gruff nature of the race would be a big put-off to others but I don't know how that'd balance out against the bonus to dexterity and strength bonus. You could make a pretty good melee fighter with that. Of course anyone using this race is immediately excluded from being a party face.
I
If you look at the racial traits an elf gets they match up pretty closely to the ones of Metathran, each has some skill bonuses, a bonus to saves and a weapon proficiency. The only thing I would think would be to lengthen the trance to 5 or 6 hours.

On a side note, going back and looking at the 3.5 books after being in the 4.0 campaign for this long was kinda painful. Each system has their advantages but damn if the 4.0 books aren't set up more efficiently.
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the -2 Int then. Killing skill points would help take away the advantage of making this thing a psycho rogue.

Also, the campaign featuring them will be no magic and role-play intensive. So perhaps a Cha penalty isn't the best.

Gollum
noob!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Agreed on story for the halfing check penalty

2. I think the Con penalty works pretty well with the dex penalty, being lighter and faster makes you less bulky and all that. That should help prevent super monk tank abuse.

3. Languages known and other stuff would be nice. I'd assume common and perhaps they're own tongue would be in there. They should speak the language of they're enemies too, Phyrexian....kidding. Maybe.

4. I think the weapon specs are pretty good. Yay spears.

5. Intimidate/Diplomacy checks make sense, keep those.

I don't think the race needs anything else in the stat department, in less you want to some how make them more alert than they already are. I think it just needs some culture background. If it comes to it, you could base further class aspects on that.
Razjah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated metathran fluff.

Razjah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the -4 Cha to -2 Int to help balance out the no magic campaign. Skills will be a lot more heavily relied on then normal so this skill hit is important and noticeable.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Dungeons & Dragons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: