The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iron Heroes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of campaign should this be?
Sand Box (given the environment, you do stuff)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tower of Druaga (big bad evil guy at the top, but can you defeat him and the other parties trying to get him?)
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Welcome to War (war campaign)
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Other (post up an idea)
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Razjah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay big question: What are you looking for in this game?

As in do you want this to be a hack and slash style game, a lot of RPing, a mix of both? Do you want to waltz through enemies, struggle, or have to overcome insurmountable odds?

Pretty much think about what kind of player you are and what at a session do you enjoy the most.

NOTE: I WILL AWARD BONUS EXPERIENCE FOR GOOD RPING, USE OF PROPS, AND/OR COSTUME.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.
rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On whether it should be pre-civilization or post-apocalypse, I think that post-apocalypse setting would give the DM much more flexibility and leave a lot more room for him to be creative. Basically, a P-Apoc campaign could be run exactly like a P-Civ campaign in terms of technology level, social structures, and culture in general depending on how long after the apocalypse we're staging from (probably a few generations or so) but it would give Erik a lot more narrative freedom and quest possibilities. Post- apocalypse leaves the chance for vast ruins, ancient relics/treasures, and forgotten secrets.

I personally don't have any problem with Erik being the DM and a character as long as he thinks he can manage it. The only weird thing would be him separating what his character knows from what he knows- it can be hard to get your own character to walk into traps. If he can pull it off though, more power to him.

As far as the game goes, I like a healthy mix of challenge. Everything in moderation, the occasional skin-of-your-teeth battle, a few battles where you struggle, and a couple battles where you go 'that was too easy...' Keep us guessing. A sense of danger and taste of mortality is great as long as it isn't crazy like Ben was doing with the eberron campaign.

The amount of combat versus roleplaying would most likely depend on the setting we decide on. Is it safe to travel from one area to another? Are the cities crime-ridden? Are there authorities or people in power that protect regions? I thought Erik was doing a good job with the 4.0 campaign so I'd be fine with him sticking with that style.
Gollum
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like my RP to be part of the action. If you've ever read a Marvel comic, you know what I'm talking about. Sometime they're fighting, sometimes not. But they're always bad ass dudes. Important things should sometimes come out in the heat of battle, they're you reason for fighting anyway.
Razjah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay- ready for the world for this campaign? Ancient Egypt after the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt. This is before the pyramids and the great monunments that you think of with Egypt. I will taking extreme liberties with this world in some areas (like accents and things) so you will simply have to work with me here.

The campaign will mostly take place in Lower Egypt (the delta) because it gives the most options. Upper Egypt is at its widdest 13 miles wide. This way I have room to make a functional world.

Comment away.

rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess that knocks out half of the possible backgrounds in the traits section unless we say the characters traveled there from afar
Razjah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to post up what the allowed backgrounds are. They don't affect the character's abilities too much anyway.

Also religion will be a focus in life, but not on actions. Everything you do would have a prayer but it affects nothing mechanically. Farming, hunting, fishing, weaving, etc would have prayers at the start of the day. I want the world to feel real.

Razjah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowed Backgrounds:
    Artisan
    Child of Faith
    City Rat
    Desert Born
    Shadow Born

Possible Backgrounds:
    Sea Child- if you grew up on the northern shores of the Nile near the Mediterranean Sea. Fishing and the sea is your life.
    High Born- You are not Noble per say, but very wealthy and well off. Your family is influential and would possible have men serving in the military as part of the chariot corps since the soldier provided for the cost of chariot and upkeep.
    Nomad- The Egyptians had famed chariots, so the horse bonus can apply- but Desert Born is better for a nomad. Also should I let you have this one only the second bonus will be allowed. The Egyptians were not famed for their cavalry units riding horses, but for men using chariots while archers rained hell form the chariot.

Good luck:
    Forest/Jungle- I will allow only if you convince me how you managed to travel across the desert from an oasis to a land you were not aware existed
    Mountain Born- The mountains are too far away in a world this dangerous to be plausible
    Arctic Born- Just try to reason out this one.

lil' Beckers
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Erik would make a good character and DM. He is VERY careful to differentiate what he knows and what his character knows in the other campaigns, and I trust him to do the same with his character if he were the DM. Besides, we would figure it out if he was "accidentally" avoiding traps too much lol

I think a post apoc world could be better or worse. It would certainly be easier for Erik to come up with cool ideas with ruins and ancient secrets and the like, but it would also be really hard for him to avoid cliche stuff. Plus, pre civilization stuff can give him a lot of creative rights. Who's to say that people would build religious temples/churches/whatever? Who's to say that their religion isn't extremely private? Who's to say they would come up with the idea of money at ANY time? Lots of cool flavor stuff like that.

My character will be a city rat if I remember correctly, so the backgrounds work well for me. The only thing I want to add is that I think that we should be able to use any background we want so long as we can justify it properly.
DEREKDEREKDEREK
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik. You are fucking genious.

Egypt it is. As for the style of game, I'd like an equal amount of RP and combat, and I like mixing the two. Combat that requires more than just rolling dice becomes a lot more interesting.
rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I was heavily looking into the arcanist class and I'll admit I was confused as hell about the channeling check on page 222. It says the DC whenever you cast a spell is (the mana spent + 5 + your intelligence modifier) Ok. Please tell me how being smarter makes it harder to cast spells when the whole process of casting solely depends on your mental discipline and ability to concentrate while shaping mana into something tangible.

I was also wondering what the team would want my character to be good at. I've already decided that he's going to have transmutation magic as his primary and enchantment as his secondary. Enchantment lets you change the an npc's attitude towards you using magic. Would you guys want my character to also take the political mastermind feat and the bewitching trait to be able to completely dominate npc's or would you like me to make my character more effective in combat?- possibly taking weapon bonded as a trait or venom mastery.

With weapon bonded I could pick intelligence to modify my attack and damage bonus using darts which would be great with my high modifier (plus i could use transmutation to further increase my modifier). Venom mastery would let me damage a creature's ability scores and then I could use transmutation magic to further hurt those scores. If we were fighting say creature with low intelligence scores I could do enough ability damage to drain int to zero which would mean any further ability damage would go straight to constitution- drained hit points.

With enchantment magic, the bewitching trait and the political mastermind feat though, I could take just about any npc that has a neutral attitude and take it up to and keep it at helpful- even taking it to fanatical if we needed back-up. Changing the mind of a hostile npc would be more difficult but definitely possible.
Razjah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still looking at the DCs but arcanists can cast spells while tied, gagged, or in armor with no spell failure. You cast spells as an act of will, nothing else.

Found channel check errata: delete +Int mod.

Last edited by Razjah on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly so it should be easier to cast magic the smarter you are. Instead the phb says that the DC to cast goes up the higher your intelligence modifer. Unless they meant you subtract your int modifier
Razjah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, how hard it is to channel a spell through your body has nothing to do with your intelligence.

rcn08
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the way you put it, why does intelligence change the DC to channel spells?
Razjah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel Check: DC= 5+ mana spent. That's it. DC is 5+mana, Int mod has nothing to do with the channel check.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Other RPG All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: